Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Top Joints of 2006

At the urging of SCG and RSJ, here are my top 10 albums of ‘06. I really haven’t listened to that much new music this year as I am still discovering the top joints of 05, and I tend to like a lot of boring-ass indie rock - but here goes nothing

Best albums of 2006

1. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
(Shakey Dog MP3) (Random Peter Rosenberg interview with Ghost)
- Most plays in my Ipod this year, most consistent MC in the game, and a required entry on every party mix I made this year

2. Drvie By Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse
(making of the album -- the video - featuring many of the album’s great songs)
(rockin live)
(acoustic live)
- Rock, Southern-fried but pure rock

3. M. Ward - Post War
(“Chinese Transalation” - live)
(And again live on Letterman)
- Amazin Folk-rock, really unlike anyone else out there

4. Josh Rouse - Subtitulo
(video)
- Not his best work. Dangerously close to easy listening, but I still dig it.

5. Pernice Brothers - Live a Little
(Live)
No amazing standout tracks that will blow your mind, but absolutely no filler. Maybe the only album of the year that I could listen to, on repeat, multiple times - without ANY track skipping.

6. The Mountain Goats - Get Lonely
(video)
More stuff that is really different. For starters the voice is not for everyone -- as evidenced by the first comment on the you tube video I posted, and I quote:
“seriously...god damn this is the most annoying shit I have ever heard in my life. The lyrics are retarded and the guy looks like he needs his ass kicked. If this is what music is coming to, then god help us all”
How is that for an endoresement.

7. Regina Spektor- Begin to Hope
(video one)
(video two)
(live with just a piano)
-no clue how to really describe her, once again a quirky one, watch video two and you will immediately love it or hate it

8. Small Sins - Small Sins
(doin wacky shit onstage)
- New Canadian Indie Rock - token completely under-the-radar band - that nonsense above was the closest I could find to a video with good sound

9. Radney Foster - This World We Live In
- The list needed a token country-ish record

10. Sparky’s Flaw - One Small Step EP
(Myspace)
-Ok, so I may be a little biased on this one

3 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger averagejoe said...

Really wasn't feeling the new Mountain Goats album but I absolutely loved their last one "The Sunset Tree". You should check it out. Actually if you like I have their entire discography (and boy, it is massive) so if you want I can get it to you.

I need to check out M. Ward. Sounds like good stuff!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger subcontinental.giant said...

Nice list. Between you and RSJ I have a lot of new music to listen too. Ghostdini the God def is amazing, it was a tough call for me to make b/w Fish Scale and Game Theory. It was a dead tie, but i referred to my iTunes play count which showed The Roots had a slight higher number.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger subcontinental.giant said...

Loving Regina Spektor... nice find.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home