Thursday, August 04, 2005

Big like a pickle, I'm still gettin' paid

In my mini-debate with Rambler earlier this week, he took offense to my characterization of RCR as a hispster blog. I then defined “hipster blog” in my comments as generally those blogs that discuss indie music and movies, DC/gentrified neighborhoods, cheap/retro beer, other hipster blogs (deceiver, etc.), liberal/libertarian politics, and dive bars instead of McFaddens 1223. This is nothign to be ashamed of, as these blogs are much more readable than the standard reading fare for most post-college male professionals, and the item that I have dubbed the single most likely reason for the downfall of the american male, Maxim magazine. In fact, Hipster blogs may be the opposite of the "articles" in Maxim, and that makes them pretty damn good in my book. (For all those who claim that they get Maxim for the pictures, dont you have the internets and paaarno?). Anyway, RCR then suggested that I write a you-might-be-a-hipster-blog-if post, but I think that about covered it. Anyway, I couldn’t do any better than the commenters on Stereogum who tackled an animal very very similar to the hipster blogger the “indie-yuppie”. Some of my favorite definitions of the indie-yuppie include

---- You might be an indie-yuppie if the new Bloc Party LP really helped you get through those last few days to make sure you met your billable hours requirement at the end of the month.
Posted by: Justin at April 12, 2005 06:30 PM
(((replace Bloc Party with about 20 other indie rock CD's and this one hits home for me)))

----You might be an indie yuppie if Rolling Stone, The New York Times and your favorite local record store have been replaced in the last 3 years by Pitchfork Media, Salon.com and the iTunes store. Posted by: VeraCruz at April 12, 2005 06:55 PM
(((((Salon is better than most newspapers but I refuse to buy the subscription)))

----You might be an indie yuppie if you love Death Cab and Bright Eyes and live in Newport Beach with your parents and drive around in Range Rover while homoerotic sparks fly between you and your semi-adopted, brother-from-the-wrong-side-of-the-tracks. (And you date a lesbian because she's soooo alternative and gets you free tickets to The Killers.) Posted by: Jenny at April 12, 2005 07:33 PM
((((hah)))))))

*******************

If you really wanna know about a Redonkulous Linker (already regretting that name by the way) I might as well point you to Double Viking. The Duce Culpepper has been on a roll lately and has pointed me to tons of hot links that need to be reposted.


DV got the goods on current real worlder/cracky Melinda gettin her freak on at bar. This sloot needs to be included in every challenge from here on out.

Then in response to McDonkerton’s positng that Mike Jone published his own cell phone number, DV discvered the fact that his marketing plan backfired when he received a cell phone bill of $250,000.00. Mike Jones might wanna rethink the Mike Jones strategy of putting Mike Jones' cell phone number in Mike Jones' song because it ends up causing a large bill that Mike Jones will have to pay with the credit card of Mike Jones. Who?


I went with the girlfriend last week to see Wedding Crashers since I could not drag her to Murderball. The movie turned out to be high-larious, despite the sappy/stupid ending that tried to make it into a real romantic comedy, instead of a old-school-like romp. Anyway we got there during the opening credits and had to sit in the first few rows. From that vantage point, one of the most astounding things about the movie was Owen Wilson’s F’d up nose. DoubleViking now points me to this crazy blog with an in-depth analysis of that crazy ass nose . Humpty Hump may use a word like luptid, but he's got nothin on Owen Wilson.

**********
Tonight I will be hitting up CEIBA for restaurant week. From what I’ve read, most of their menu is available for R-week, and they got the best Mojito’s in town. These are my three early favorites for entrees, but one thing I don’t understand is why the descriptions underneath the items all contain items that are not included in the name of the entree, does this mean that jumbo lumb crab comes with the Plaintain Atalantic Salmon, Craziness? And what the hell is Fufu Mash??

1) Sugar Cane Skewered Jumbo Shrimp
Smashed Avocado, Chipolte Barbeque Sauce, Pineapple Salsa

2) Crispy Green Plantain Atlantic Salmon
Jumbo Lump Crab, Sweet Corn, Tomatillo, Boniato Puree, Tamarind Tartar

3) Blackened Yellowfin Tuna
Coconut Shrimp, Fufu Mash, Curried Costa Rican Pineapple Tapioca

************

Anybody catch the latest stunning move from our Prez-nint. During this “war on terrorism,” he will use an interesting strategy. The 5 WEEK VACATION!! You gotta be kidding me.

************

Looks like the Sports Guy had the same reaction as I did to the Miami Heat trade/robbery. How the F’ were the Heat able to get ‘Toine Walker, White Chocolate, and James Posey for an aging poo poo platter. Yes, he even called him a poo poo platter.

*************

Finally, I dont know jack about cars except that if I press the gas it is supposed to go forward. I had take my car to the shop this week when that one basic element of driving was not working correctly, but are all these things supposed to go wrong at the same time? And should my mechanic really describe each of them as being "shot." Thats a little harsh isnt it.

1) crank shaft position sensor - shot
2) fuel tanks ending unit - shot
3) fuel pump - shot
3) rack and pinion - shot
4) power steering reservior - shot (can a reservoir be shot)
5) spark plugs - need all new ones

Pretty nice luxury car I have.

**************

Music heard while writing this post: The Rentals - Return of the Rentals; The Pernice Brothers - Discover a Lovelier You; Son Volt - Okemah and the Melody of Riot

1 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger averagejoe said...

I read an interview with Mike Jones where he said he paid for the unlimited minutes plan, and at the time I thought to myself, "What the heck is that?" Guess he was wrong! Man, that cell phone bill beats Burnsie's bill for drunk dialing our big fat brown friend in Australia.

Over at Dailykos some of the kids there have a petition going to get Congress to introduce a bill granting all Americans five weeks paid vacation, since the President gets to do it on our tax dollars. I thought that was pretty funny.

Dude, didn't you just get that car? Is your mechanic ripping you off?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home